Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Wrought Iron is cool!


Wrought iron
is an iron alloy with a very low carbon content, in comparison to steel, and has fibrous inclusions, known as slag. This is what gives it a "grain" resembling wood, which is visible when it is etched or bent to the point of failure. Wrought iron is tough, malleable, ductile and easily welded. Historically, it was known as "commercially pure iron", however it no longer qualifies because current standards for commercially pure iron require a carbon content of less than 0.008 wt%. (Wikipedia – Wrought Iron)

So, a few months ago, I ordered a piece of old 1800’s Lake Superior Grain Silo from http://www.usaknifemaker.com/store/ , just to see what Wrought Iron was all about. I like it. The impurities give an interesting, if subtle, visual effect. Not something to make a knife out of, but good for an accent piece…or some jewelry.

For Christmas, I made Erica a couple of necklaces, or pendants really, since I bought the chains on Etsy . Erica really likes skeleton keys, and I really love her, so, a key and a heart.

Here they are:

When I gave them to her, they were all shiny and polished. But since she likes the rough/antiqued look, I dunked them in Muriatic Acid for a while and they got all matte, and a shortly after that, a little rusty. She liked the effect, so that’s how they are now.

I ground them both with my belt grinder and dremel tool.

3 comments:

Erica said...

oh sweetie! I really love you, too :)

Jessica O. said...

These are awesome!!! Love them.

-Jessica
http://cutyourheartoutstore.blogspot.com

mina said...

the key necklace is gorgeous