Thursday, October 17, 2013

A new Etsy Store...HangedManDesigns

Hanged Man Designs Etsy Store…

It’s not active yet, but it will be.  I’m intending this to be a clearing house for my crafts, Knives, Pens, Bowls, Shaving Brushes, Pipes, razors (Mach 3 and possibly straight) and whatever miscellaneous man stuff I manage to come up with (not that women can’t use this stuff too-shaving with straight razors is sexy!).
When it’s active, you’ll be able to access it at: www.etsy.com/shop/HangedManDesigns

I have managed to get a little bit of work done in the shop over the last couple of weeks.  One of my friends, the amazing Pat Pruitt – check out his work at: http://www.patpruitt.com/, just got married, so I made a nice little bowl out of bloodwood…and immediately developed a pretty nasty rash on the inside of my elbows – didn’t realize I was allergic to it.  I know I am getting sensitive to coccobolo, but never had issues with bloodwood before.
                                    
I forgot to take a picture, but he was nice enough to take a few for me for me - Nice work again Pat.

As you know from the last post, I finished off my Kindjal project – inspired by my friend Jason Marker of http://www.amalgamatedfiction.com/  who just wrapping up a Kickstarter for a Savage Worlds Role Playing game setting: www.accursedrpg.com 

I also finished up my W2 Tanto.  Not at all a traditional handle, but I like it, and that is what is important.  It has the best hamon that I have managed to create so far, nice and dark, but not a whole lot of activity.






I’ve been working on a little 1084 mini kindjal – I’m thinking that I will use a modern handle (canvas micarta), and making it my interpretation of a Crysknife – without the worm tooth – since I haven’t been able to find one yet. I’m still in the forging and shaping period of this one.

I’m working on a couple matching shaving sets – Soap bowls, Mach 3 razors, and badger brushes.

I’ll be putting together another several bolt action pens – at least a couple will be deer antler, and depending on leftovers, I might manage to add a pen to the one or two of the shaving sets.


I started on another pipe, and have the materials for a few more – might do a pipe and fountain pen set too – out of briar of course.  If I can figure it out, I think it will be two bents and a straight pipe.

I also tried to make my daughter a longbow. But I used an old 2x2 pine board as the body., and as I didn’t know, but expected, pine isn’t ideal for this sort of project.  I fully expect the bow to break either when I string it, or when I try to draw it.  I also don’t know how heavy the pull will be.

Lastly, I’ve decided to finally try my hand a couple straight razors. VERY early stages, but it did get me to finally unpack my wet/dry grinder that has been sitting in its box for over a year!

Hopefully, and update with a shop opening date will happen soon.

No comments: