Monday, April 26, 2010

Dust

Hi folks,

This weekend I managed to do some wrap-up. I finished up the sheath for NJJ, and a knife block for Bdoodles (See below for pictures). I did a little work on some of the other pending blades, but all of my grinding belts are worn out at this point and I need to order more to make better progress.

High quality steel eats up grinding belts pretty fast.Even my woodworking belt (only 1) is getting a little tired, but it still works. The drive belt of my band saw is wearing out too. Sometimes I think working with old and worn out equipment makes things more interesting. Sometimes its just a pain in the ass.

Usually when I work in the shop I wear a little bit of safety equipment, ear protection and eye protection. Wearing dust masks makes the safety glasses fog up. This weekend I had to go for ear and lung protection. As I was sanding down the pieces for the knife block, I noticed that my nose and throat were kinda gumming up. It seems that the fine dust of the Blue Mahoe doesn’t get along with me very well. Not the sniffles and irritation that cocobolo gives, but more of a clogging that I haven’t experienced with any other wood dust. As a result I took off the glasses and put on the mask. Maybe I should look into getting a combo set so I can breathe and see. Novel concept.

I think that I have already mentally spent my (hopefully) forthcoming tax return three or four times over, soI guess I will have to prioritize. I’d like my lungs to last for a few more years, so maybe that will make the cut.

Anyway, here are pictures of the finished products. The spec’s will come later.

Bdoodles

Boning/Slicing knife and block

Turquoise and copper detail

NJJ

Knife in Sheath

Knife

Enjoy!

A

3 comments:

Teddy Started It said...

Wow! Those are really beautiful. Now I'm sad because my little oyster knives are so...well...common. Now I want them to be beautiful too.

A. Ringia said...

Don't worry - they will be beautiful :) You did say you were hoping for heirlooms. I've got some ideas...

Erica said...

Lungs Shmungs. LOL. Just kidding sweetie, I expect you to outlive me and if that requires a fancy face mask then so be it ;).